Horseback Riding Lessons
* Riding Lesons are offered year round *
Learn about horses and riding from our experienced and knowledgeable staff. Our horses are wonderful partners and teachers. Try a lesson today and see the benefit it can have in your life!
Private Lessons for children ages 6 to 8
Private and Semi-Private Lessons for adults and children aged 9+
Lessons can be tailored to suit all skill and experience levels. We teach both English and Western riding. In addition, our instructors and horses specialize in working with timid or nervous riders.
* Lessons are offered to children ages 6+ and adults of any age or experience.
* All beginner riders and/or children ages 6-8 will take private riding lessons.
*All riders must take a private lesson to determine eligibility for a semi-private
Hourly Lesson Cost will be as follows:
$45 hour long private lesson.
$30 hour long group lessons
All hour long lessons will also include grooming, tacking-up and horse care after the lesson as part of the hour.
Ages 6+ , all riding levels welcome
Cost per lesson:
All riding levels welcome
$80/hour for one couple
Try something new for you and your loved one. Camp Ketcha now offers a new lesson special: Come and bring your date on an hour-long horseback riding lesson. Each person will receive their own instructor and their own horse to work with. It is a great way to learn and experience something new with the support of someone you trust trying out this exciting adventure with you! Please ask about “Trail Ride” lessons.
Parent & Child Riding Lessons
ages 6+ , all riding levels welcome
Cost per lesson:
Lessons will be an hour in length and will include grooming and tacking-up. Actual riding time will be between 30 to 35 minutes depending upon time needed for grooming and tacking-up. Riders at the beginner level will be assisted throughout the lesson by a one-on-one instructional staff until they are confident riding independently. All riding levels are welcome.
Camp Ketcha also offers beginner Western lessons. If you would prefer to learn western riding, please indicate this when scheduling your lesson. Bring out the cowboy or cowgirl in yourself! Prices above.
* One private lesson is required for riders who have not ridden at Camp Ketcha before.
* Semi-private lessons consist of two riders and one instructor, therefore riders in these lessons must be confidently riding independently at the walk and trot.
* All semi-private lessons are at the discretion of the instructor.
* One hour lessons include grooming & tacking up before the lesson and un-tacking at the end of the lesson until the rider can perform this independently.
* A discount of $2 per lesson will be offered for blocks of 4 or more lessons paid for in advance.
* A discount is also available to current 4-H members — please see Jessie for additional details.
* 1/2 hour private lessons are available by request — these lessons are just riding time and do not include grooming and tacking-up.
* If you are interested in riding with a friend but need to take a private lesson to determine eligibility for semi-private lessons, it may be possible to arrange to have your initial lessons at the same time with different instructors.
What to Wear for Your Riding Lesson
* Full length pants with with either a soft inseam or no inseam. Sweatpants, leggings, breeches and riding tights are all acceptable. Wind pants may be slippery in the saddle. Jeans may be worn but are not recommended.
* A boot or shoe with a heel such as a hiking shoe, rain boot or a riding boot. No sneakers. Please note that some winter boots are really wide and may not fit in a stirrup.
* A current ASTM/SEI approved riding helmet. We do provide helmets if you do
* During cold weather, gloves are required. Please wear gloves that are
* Sandals and flip-flops are not allowed in the barn or around the horses.
Scheduling Lessons – Paying monthly: In order to keep the day and time spot for your lesson each week, payment is required in advance for the number of times that the lesson falls in any given month. If you are unable to make one of those lessons, it is possible to re-schedule to another day/time within that calendar month, however, you will not be able to skip that particular lesson and fee. A discount of $2 per lesson will be given for blocks of at least four lessons paid for in advance.
Scheduling Lessons – Paying per lesson: If you should choose to pay for each lesson as you take it, your lessons will run on a week-to-week basis, meaning you will not be guaranteed that particular day and time each week and you may not schedule lessons weeks in advance.
Payment Policy: If you are scheduling monthly blocks of lessons, payment is due and expected on the first scheduled lesson of the month. If you are not able to make that lesson for any reason, payment is still due and should be mailed to the office or delivered to the barn and placed in the payment box. If you are paying per lesson, payment is due prior to the start of the lesson.
Cancellation Policy: 24 hour notice is required for cancellation of any lesson regardless of the reason. If canceling with less than a 24 hour notice, the lesson will not be rescheduled or refunded, regardless of the the reason. Students will be responsible for the lesson fee even if paying per lesson. Rescheduled lessons will not be carried forward into another month.
Winter Cancellation Policy: If it is 20° F or above in Scarborough Maine, the lesson will continue as planned. Please dress warmly. If it is below 20° F, the instructor will decide whether the lesson should proceed. Please call the Camp Ketcha Barn or your instructor to discuss. If the barn decides that your lesson will proceed as planned and you do not show up, you will be responsible to pay for that lesson. If the barn decides that your lesson will not proceed due to weather, you will not be responsible for that fee. Please reschedule your lesson.
Late Arrivals: If you arrive late to your scheduled lesson, your lesson will end at the regularly scheduled time. Students who arrive more than 15 minutes late will be unable to ride as this is disruptive to the rest of the class. In addition, the abbreviated time schedule will not allow for a regular lesson to take place. This lesson will not be rescheduled or refunded.
Weather Cancellations: Lessons will be cancelled in severe weather. These classes will either be re-scheduled or refunded. If your lesson must be cancelled due to inclement weather, we will attempt to contact you before the lesson at the number you have provided. If you do not hear from us, you should assume that your lesson is going to take place. During the winter season, please refer to the winter cancellation policy.
Student Cancellations: If you need to cancel a lesson, you must call the Camp Ketcha Barn at 207-883-8977, ext. 110 at least 24 hours in advance. Cancellations received the day of the lesson cannot be accepted and will be considered a no show and you will be charged for your lesson. Please remember that even if you did not show up for your lesson, your instructor still did.
For more information on our lesson program or to schedule a lesson, please call the barn at 883-8977, ext. 110 or email email@example.com